Brings a unique blend of operations, financial analysis, and future strategic planning to all situations with over forty years experience directing companies with assets up to $1.2 billion and a direct report employee of over 250. Experience includes electric utility finance and corporate utility finance, commercial banking, general corporate finance, administration, investment banking, manufacturing operations, and accountant with KPMG Peat Marwick.
Major Areas of Expertise:
- Chief Financial Officer for a generation and transmission cooperative with assets in excess of $350 million.
- Chief Operating Officer for an investment and business-consulting firm including management of a venture capital fund.
- Chief Operating Officer for a merchant banking company with over $25 million invested in 20 companies.
- Served on board of directors for numerous small and medium size companies.
- Key executive in planning and directing mergers and acquisitions.
- Served as Chairman and CEO of several business units of a public company which included an investment company, data processing and systems company, and an insurance agency operation.
- Broad functional experience in corporate accounting including financial analysis, planning, management, reporting, control systems and procedures.
- Managed all financial and shareholder functions of a public company with over $100 million in market capitalization.
- Managed over $300 million investment portfolio.
- Experienced in negotiation, valuation, due diligence, and integration of acquisitions.
- Directed study on tax implications for generation and transmission cooperative relating to loss of exempt status due to investment and regulatory changes in the electric utility industry.
- Assisted in articulating the vision and setting the strategic plan for a rapid-growth company as sales increased by more than 300% in less than 3 years.
- Directed strategic plan for public bank holding company with assets of more than $1.2 billion.
1993 - present:
President and Chief Operating Officer for Capital Management Associates.
1993 - 2004:
Vice President Corporate Operations and Chief Financial Officer, Central Iowa Power Cooperative, a generation and transmission cooperative, Capital Management Associates, Inc., an investment banking firm with a focused perspective for electric cooperatives on corporate management and restructuring.
Executive Vice President - Finance and Administration, I A Bedford, Ltd., member of senior management team which developed and implemented the strategic business plan for a rapidly growing company.
1988 - 1993:
Executive Vice President/Chief Operating Officer, Allied Group Merchant Banking Corporation. Managed day-to-day operations and directed two venture capital funds with assets over $25 million. Served on numerous board of directors for portfolio companies. Served as senior member of a management team involved in mergers and acquisitions, leveraged buyouts, valuations, and private placements of debt and equity.
Chief Financial Officer, Krause Gentle Corporation. Responsible for financial operations of a 130 convenience store company with annual revenues of $100 million.
1977 - 1988:
Executive Vice President, Treasurer and Director, First Interstate of Iowa, Inc. (now Bank of America). Served as Chairman, CEO and Director of 3 non-bank subsidiaries including a data processing company. Responsible for asset/liability programs for the entire banking system. Senior member of an acquisition team which acquired 9 banks and a full service insurance agency.
Chief Financial Officer, Brenton Banks, Inc. a bank holding company with over $1 billion in assets. Responsible for financial functions including tax and SEC reporting. Executive responsible for developing strategies for bank's pioneer move into electronic funds transfer.
Senior Staff Accountant, KPMG Peat Marwick.
B.S. in Business Administration with an Accounting major, Drake University Certified Public Accountant
Graduate, Bank Administration Institute, University of Wisconsin.
James B. Fogt
Capital Management Associates, Inc.
2600 Grand Avenue, Suite 410
Des Moines, IA 50312