Don’t be fooled by his youthful appearance. Dustin brings a range of talents and expertise in the financial and investment sectors. Experience includes financial analysis, deal negotiation, hands-on strategic planning, client portfolio analysis, and investment portfolio management for both public and private securities portfolios as well as experience as both a principal and agent. Dustin also holds the Chartered Financial Analyst designation, an honor that only 139,279 individuals have received worldwide since the designation was started in 1963.
Major Areas of Expertise:
- Serving as lead manager of a $15 million venture capital portfolio
- Acting in the capacity of deal sourcing, negotiation, analysis, due diligence, and closing of private placements of equity and debt securities as both a principal and an agent
- Serving on the board of directors or executive management committee of several private companies
- Acting as an investment committee observer to a $22.5 million venture capital fund focused on investing in rural America
- Implementing technology solutions for portfolio and deal flow monitoring and reporting
- Leading the structuring, negotiation, and formation of several hedge and private equity funds and coordinating the fund raising and managing the professional services vendors to those funds
- Working as an analyst on sell side M&A transactions including preparing the initial confidential memorandum, participating in the due diligence process on behalf of the client, and participating in negotiations with potential acquirers
- Working as part of a client advisory team to perform analysis and ensure that client objectives are being met with the portfolio allocation and structure
- Working as a member of a five-person team managing $250 million of a managed portfolio of mutual funds, conducting macro-economic analysis, recommending strategic and tactical allocation changes, and performing initial and ongoing manager due diligence
2010 - present: Vice President for Capital Management Associates in Des Moines. Responsible for deal sourcing, negotiation, analysis, and ongoing portfolio monitoring and guidance for $15 million venture capital portfolio.
2007 - 2010: Investment Banking Analyst for DeWaay Financial Network in Clive. Responsible for developing detailed pro forma models including margin analysis, cash flow analysis, and trend analysis for corporate finance clients. Performed in-depth due diligence and fund administration for a $10.1 million affiliated venture capital fund.
2005 - 2010: Case Manager and Investment Committee Member for DeWaay Capital Management in Clive. Member of a team that assessed portfolio risk, performance, and other key metrics and asset information. Reviewed risk tolerance preferences and financial objectives to create allocation strategies for clients. Assisted in the management of $250 million in mutual fund portfolios.
B.A. in Economics, Management, Simpson College, Indianola, Iowa (Magna Cum Laude)
MBA, University of Iowa, Tippie College of Business, Iowa City/Des Moines, Iowa (Expected Graduation of May 2013)
Holds the Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) and the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designations
Dustin L. Thomas
Capital Management Associates, Inc.
2600 Grand Avenue, Suite 410
Des Moines, IA 50312